There were awkward moments a plenty during last night’s two hour broadcast of the MTV movie awards, but I am choosing to focus on the positive. Here are my highlights from the annual joke fest:
1) Aziz Ansari’s opening monologue which busts Twilight’s chops for the most predictable “cliff hanger” at the end of New Moon. Agree and bravo!
2) Russell Brand (who I normally hate) explaining to Puff Daddy that the East coast and West coast gang rivalries are exactly like the current conflict of Team Edward versus Team Jacob. Why yes, Russell. Yes, it is.
3) Ed Helms and Ken Jeong’s musical/interpretive dance performance of “Tiger Dreams” from the Hangover. Even two years later, it’s still funny.
4) Ken Jeong's acceptance speech during which he breaks down and salutes his wife who is successfully battling breast cancer.
5) Despite her crazy, blue hair, Katy Perry’s song “California Gurls” is sheer pop music candy and I want some more.
6) The “Best WTF Moment” category and the announcing of the nominees. Even at 25 years old, swearing makes me laugh.
7) Sandra Bullock. What can I say? You are the classiest woman on earth. Not only did you look killer (eat your heart out, Jesse James) but you handled yourself beautifully and even managed to get a steady string of laughs. Bonus points to Bradley Cooper for his fantastic contribution to the tribute.
If you missed the show, don’t worry, MTV will replay it about 10,000 times in the next two weeks. If you already watched, check out TV Without Pity’s picks for the Best & Worst Dressed.